Glentauchers Whisky Distillery

Glentauchers Whisky Distillery & Story

Glentauchers Whisky Distillery is located in the middle of the Speyside whisky region. Situated just over 4 miles west of the Scottish market town of Keith.

Output from the Glentauchers (glen-tock-ers) distillery is mainly for blending in Ballantines and Teachers Highland Cream.  Contributed in the past to ‘Black & White’ blends.

The distillery is now regarded as one of the signature malts to Ballentines.

Not generally available as a single malt from the distillery.

However the whisky is popular with the independent bottlers such as Gordon & MacPhail and Hepburns Choice.

How the Glentauchers story began

Established in 1898 by James Buchanan and in association with his Glaswegian whisky broker WP Lowerie, to secure a supply of malt whisky for principally their Black & White Blends.

The controlling company was named Glentauchers Distillery Co. this became Glentauchers-Glenlivet Distillery Co Ltd in 1903.

WP Lowrie upon his retirement in 1906 transferred his shares to James Buchanan & Co Ltd.

Extensive alterations and improvements to the maltings and mash-houses were made during 1923-25. Plus a large new spirit store designed by Charles Doig & Son.

James Buchanan & Co amalgamated interests with other major Scottish whisky blenders within an enlarged Distillers Company Ltd in 1925.

During 1930 ownership and operation of Glentauchers eventually passed to another DCL subsidiary Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd with the licence retained by James Buchanan.

Closed during the Second World War due to supply and government restrictions 1939-46.

Major reconstruction was carried out during 1965-66, which involved new still house, mash house, tun room and a trebling of still capacity from 2 to 6 stills.

The distillery ceased floor malting in 1969.

Its owners UDV mothballed the distillery in 1985.

However, Allied Distillers purchased the distillery in 1989 and distilling restarted in August 1992.

A 15 year old single malt whisky is released in 2000.

During 2005 Chivas Brothers (Pernod Richard) acquire the distillery with their purchase of Allied Domecq.

The Glentauchers Distillery

Founded in 1898 by James Buchanan and W.P. Lowerie.

Location; Speyside.

Water source; Rosarie Burn.

Glentauchers Whisky Distillery Equipment;

Un-peated malt barley.

12 tonne full lauter stainless steel mash tun.

6 Larch washbacks.

3 pairs of pot stills.

Matured in American bourbon hogsheads.

The Glentauchers malt whisky is not generally available as a distillery release. However is popular with the independent bottlers such as Gordon & MacPhail and Hepburns Choice.

Glentauchers Whisky Distillery
glentauchers malt whisky logo

Our Glentauchers malt whiskies

No visitor facilities at the Glentauchers distillery

Our Glentauchers Whisky Range - In stock and available to buy