Linkwood Whisky Distillery & Story
How the Linkwood story began
The Linkwood whisky distillery established by Peter Brown in 1821. Named after the old mansion house that it was sited on.
During the 1840’s output under James Walker, as manager, was 20,000 gallons a year.
William Brown, son of the former Peter Brown, inherits the distillery in 1868.
He demolishes and rebuilds the distillery in 1873. Increasing production to 50.000 gallons per year.
Control of the distillery passes to the Linkwood-Glenlivet Distillery Co Ltd in 1897.
Five years later Innis Cameron, a local whisky merchant, joins the company. Eventually becoming the majority shareholder.
Great care has always been taken to maintain the quality of the whisky at Linkwood. Roderick Mackenzie, distillery manager at one time, forbid the removal of even spider webs in case the change in environment affected the quality of the whisky!
Innis Cameron passes away and the Linkwood distillery was sold to SMD in 1932 for £80,000. Approx £4.9 million at todays values.
The distillery renovated in 1962.
Another refurbishment carried out in 1971, this time 4 more stills where added in a new still house (Linkwood B) next door.
Exact replicas of the original stills were commissioned complete with the bumps and dents, so as to preserve the spirits character.
The original Victorian still house with its pair of stills (Linkwood A) was closed down in 1985. However, five years later these where re-commissioned. The original Linkwood distillery ran for a couple of months each year until 1996 before this part closed again.
During 2011-13 capacity was increased;
The old distillery buildings alongside Linkwood road were demolished.
The 1971 Stillhouse was extended to accommodate the malt-wash facilities, with the two original stills refurbished from the old re-located.
Diageo use the Linkwood malt whisky in their blends such as White Horse and Johnnie Walker.
Originally bottled by the distillery owners under the Flora & Fauna label as a 12 year old. It was also available from Gordon and MacPhail under their distilleries label collection as a 15 year old.
Linkwood whisky distillery has always maintained a good reputation with blenders for its rich fruity whisky.
Linkwood Whisky Distillery
Founded in 1821 by Peter Brown.
Location; Speyside Region. Central district south of Elgin.
Water source; Local springs near Millbuies Loch.
Linkwood Whisky Distillery Equipment;
12.5 Tonne full lauter mash tun.
11 Oregon pine washbacks.
3 pairs of stills.
Matured in ex-bourbon casks.